Workzone is trusted by
Gantt Charts: At A Glance
Why Do We Need Gantt Charts?
• Managers can determine if some tasks are taking longer than usual and remedy the situation on time.
• Gantt charts allow managers to allocate and manage resources efficiently.
• Visual representation of data ensures faster decision making.
Who uses Gantt Charts?
What Are Interactive Bar Charts?
“The Gantt Chart, because of its presentation of facts in their relation to time, is the most notable contribution to the art of management made in this generation.”
Wallace Clark, Author of ‘The Gantt Chart: A Working Tool of Management’
How Long Does It Take To Prepare Gantt Charts?
Why Do We Need Gantt Charts?
• Research and development (R&D)
• Human Resources
What are the Pros and Cons of Using Gantt Charts?
|Gantt charts provide clarity for complex projects.||Unless you are using online project management software, you have to manually update each task in Gantt chart.|
|Gantt charts help you set realistic deadlines.||Gantt charts can become extremely complex where the chart may run into multiple pages.|
|Online Gantt charts are interactive so managers can quickly break down tasks.||Adapting to project changes requires the chart to be remade.|
|They are invaluable for project managers for improving efficiency of their teams.||Gantt Charts only show the general project timeline, not into the individual tasks that makeup the schedule.|
|Gantt Charts allow top management to take decisions quickly and more accurately.||The bars do not show how long the tasks will take to complete.|
|Modern-day Gantt Chart software provide online collaboration features, which allows users to get a “snapshot” of all ongoing projects and send document from a central dashboard.||Gantt Charts suffer when trying to display Critical Path and dependencies.|
How to Make a Gantt Chart in Microsoft Excel
The old practices of making Gantt charts, especially Gantt charts made using Microsoft Excel requires quite a bit of experimentation, learning, and understanding of various features.
Here’s a step-by-step guide of making Gantt charts using Excel:
1) Enter all project details as shown below in an Excel sheet.
2) Go to insert, click on bar chart icon, and select the highlighted bar chart as shown below.
3) Select Design tab and Select Data icon.
4) This will open up the following window. Now click on add, select the Start Date range and add it. Follow the similar process for the Duration range.
5) The Legend Entries on the RHS should contain two fields. The Horizontal Axis Labels should contain the task name.
6) Your Gantt chart should look something like this.
However, this is a tedious process. Plus, you have to manually calculate duration, based on start and end date. The new visually-optimized online Gantt charts are as simple as they come and do all the basic tasks automatically cutting down the time and learning curve to master Gantt charts.
What Are The Best Gantt Chart Tools Around?
Other than Workzone, many online project management solutions come with Gantt charts, all of which offer some great features and capabilities. Some of the most popular of these tools are Wrike, Zoho, and SmartSheet.
Workzone has been trusted by Adidas, Hitachi, Verizon, Wells Fargo, University of Pennsylvania, and a number of other reputed companies for our simple and attractive Gantt charts and project management.
However, the decision to find the perfect Gantt Chart Software depends on your company’s organization, structure, and needs. Get in touch with us to review your current project management system, find pain points and determine if Workzone is the right match for you. If we are not the right solution for your team, you can bank on us to be forthright about it.